Picture of the week

Picture of the week
James Chandler, Norrish Creek, Mission British Columbia

Monday, January 21, 2008

Big Silver Creek

Return to big Silver Creek


Since my first trip to Big Silver was cut short by some unforeseen nose breakage I had been dieing to get back up there and bag the falls and lower section. I was quite exited to be returning to Big Silver but disappointed that my possibly broken rib from the proceeding days trip down Norrish Creek was going to limit what I could paddle. After self medicating and drinking myself to sleep that night I was optimistic that I was going to be able to paddle in the morning. So after a quick lake side meal of eggs, bacon and extra strength Tylenol we geared up and headed for the put in. This run was going to be a modified run that we did the year earlier, you can read about that below. Soon after we put on I realized this was going to be a long paddle. I ran the top piece and decided to take out after I herd a loud pop from my ribs and the pain became much more intense. This one probably would have been better to sit out from the start. After I took out Dan and James ran down to the original intended take out and bagged the falls I had been thinking about all week. Also found the nasty grade 6 sieve section just below. I heard lots of mixed beta on wether or not you can paddle out below the falls, and you can. The river was higher as well this time around do to rain fall.




Our camp site by the lake.


Me rocken the new FNA full face, this is the put in and where I should have turned around and gone back to bed. I blame the hang over partly for my decision to get on the river that day.


Here's one of the grade 5 drops above our put in.



James running one of the first drops.


James dropping in to one of the ledge drops.

Dan on one of the drops we walked the year before because of low water.

One of the canyons above the falls after I took out.

A rather big log in the last canyon above the lower falls.

Dan dropping the lower falls known as "Divided We Falls", its named that because the other half of the creek drops off behind the rock in the picture.

James putting in below the grade 6 sieve section below the falls. I was able to climb down above here and get a distant look in the drop and it didn't look like a very happy place.


This is the last drop on run above the lower grade 2/3 section. I'm told this was between 6-8 feet and has an under cut on the right side, both Dan and James ran it with no problems.



Round 1 Big Silver




Here are some pics from Big Silver Creek. We were up there in mid August so the level was quite low but still lots of fun and technical. We never made it to ``Divided We Falls`` because one member of our crew did some nose breaking on one of the drops above. Divided we falls is a super clean 20 foot water fall with a rock that divides it at the top. It is visible from the road on the drive up, but not scoutable till you're on the creek. I will be going back this year to check out the run above where we put in. There are lots of big falls and good drops. There is also a lower run that is easier grade 3 stuff that you can paddle to Harrison lake where there is a nice campsite.










The trail down to the put in.







James thinking we should have brought creek boats.





Me wishing we had creek boats.








Curtis running one of the first drops.











Another drop near the start of our run.








The nose carnage.








Curtis running the GNAR.

Chianti on one of the bottom drops.








No comments: